The Book Place Donation Guidelines
Friends of Marin County Free Library
We’re accepting donations on Tuesdays and Saturdays ONLY, since we must quarantine the donations before handling.
Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday:
10 am to 2 pm
We gratefully accept gently-used books, DVDs, CDs, and sheet music. Unacceptable materials may be refused based on condition or if we are overloaded in a particular category. Our volunteer labor focuses on re-sellable items to fund critical library programs and needs. We are not a recycling center, but an outlet to sell good quality items at great prices.
• Please call ahead (415.209.0212) to ensure we have room for your donation. If we cannot take the whole donation at once, we might accept a few at a time. Please state #boxes/bags in your message. The amount we are able to accept is depend-ent on the limits of our back room. PLEASE call first so we do not disappoint you if we are unable to accept.
• Please do NOT leave donations outside the doors when we are closed. The weather may damage your donation, resulting in disposal.
• We must limit the amount of CD/DVD to one box of either item.
We cannot accept:
• Books that are worn, torn/chewed, underlined or annotated; have yellowed pages or mold or smell of cigarettes/cigars; water-damaged, stained items
• National Geographic magazines
• Magazines more than THREE years old (fashion/style more than ONE year)
• Time-Life and Harvard Classics sets or any incomplete sets
• Oversized “coffee table” books, except Art and Photography or any UNIQUE topic
• Encyclopedia sets unless pre-1940; must be complete
• Readers’ Digest Condensed books
• Travel guides, computer books/software, business, dictionaries/thesaurus, science, psychology, or medical/health books more than FIVE years old
• Home decorating more than TWO years old
• Vinyl records/music on cassette, instructional material CD/cassettes (business, real estate, or self-help seminar materials)
• Audiobooks with missing cassettes/CDs
• Home-recorded music or movies
• Puzzles, greeting cards, or stationery
• Children’s VHS
• Children’s classroom textbooks/teacher guides, etc.
We work very hard to offer higher-quality materials for purchase. Therefore, if your do-nation includes any of the above, please consider recycling in your home’s blue bin, or taking them to a recycling center.